FreeRadius, Eduroam, and me...

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Mon Jun 22 21:37:08 CEST 2020

Sorry for not giving all the details...

This comes from "eduvpn."  (app.eduvpn.org) Apparently it is an openvpn
based system.  When I start the VPN, and select "KNET" it takes me to a
sign-in webpage that "authenticates off of eduroam" creates some form of
token:

https://controller.eduroam.ke/vpn-user-portal/_form/auth/verify

When I type my credentials into the above webpage, I do get the
plaintext username / password.

I do not know what else they are doing, but I know they have other sites
that successfully authenticate against a mysql database.  They do not
have a config that successfully authenticates off of Active Directory
(which is what the school I am helping with is trying to set up).

We can probably assume it is not running "proper eduroam."  My question
is, then, can I get something that passes in the depressingly insecure
username/password combo to authenticate off Active Directory, or is it a
lost cause?  Do I need to complain loudly that they need to change the
auth type to something else? (but whatever they use will need to
authenticate off of a mysql back-end also)

     - Tim