EAP TLS: how the radius server track clients

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun May 3 22:33:38 CEST 2020

On May 3, 2020, at 3:36 PM, Jim Shi via Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:

> Hi, I have a question about how the radius server keep track of clients in EAP TLS.
> My understanding is that EAP TLS involves a series of  requests/responses.
> Hence the radius server needs to keep track of status for each client during the handshake.
> How does the radius server keep track of clients? Based on 'User-Name' in the radius packet request?

  The short answer is "Does it matter?"

  i.e. are you writing a RADIUS server which does EAP-TLS?  If not, it doesn't really matter.  It works, and that's good enough.

  The longer answer is that this is defined in RFC 3579 (EAP over RADIUS), and RFC 2865 (how Access-Challenge works).  This uses the State attribute.

  If you read the debug output of the server, you'll also see that it looks up EAP sessions by State.