Vendor-Specific attribute with rlm_rest

Michael A Carpenter - macarpen@us.ibm.com macarpen at us.ibm.com
Thu May 7 22:42:11 CEST 2020

On May 7, 2020, at 2:45 PM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com<mailto:aland at deployingradius.com>> wrote:

On May 7, 2020, at 2:17 PM, Michael A Carpenter - macarpen at us.ibm.com<mailto:macarpen at us.ibm.com> <macarpen at us.ibm.com<mailto:macarpen at us.ibm.com>> wrote:

I'm trying to return the Vendor-Specific attribute with value "H=4,I=4" using the rlm_rest module. I've tried the following authorization response payloads:

{"Attr-26": "0x483d342c493d34"}

{"Vendor-Specific": "H=4,I=4"}

Both resulted in error:

 Please don't do that.  It's terrible.  If you need that in order to interoperate with an idiot vendor, fine.  But if you're doing something yourself, this is 1000% the wrong thing to do.

The former, vendor is SuperMicro

 You *cannot* and *should not* specify values for the Vendor-Specific attribute.  That attribute does not have values like other attributes.  Instead, it carries a 32-bit vendor number, followed by encapsulated vendor attributes.

So... why are you doing this?

I arrived at those values based on http://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2017-November/089770.html and https://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=22374

Any suggestions for what might be incompatible about the value?

 It fails to follow the RFCs.  See

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tools.ietf.org_html_rfc8044-23section-2D3.14&d=DwIGaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=OI48QQPIMZYKrUbG21FK_VAb6BR2rxkULb952GKjKYI&m=fIq6zgM93RvSIzpzsIi7vNOmXqFH5wJxnVK6JvguSFw&s=-9g8SQJuMKtaktXW5rjyrj4jSB0k75uC1EAfZOizIzs&e=

 Which defines the "vsa" data type, for the Vendor-Specific attribute.

 As the author of that specification, I feel uniquely qualified to say that your usage of Vendor-Specific is wrong. :)

No argument here :)