Connection Failure with PEAP0/1 with MSCHAPv2

Matthew Newton mcn at freeradius.org
Wed May 13 11:23:36 CEST 2020

On 13/05/2020 09:17, Ammann, Lukas wrote:
> If i disable certificate validation on Win, Ubuntu and Android, the devices connect successfully.

Not a good idea, but for testing things, OK.

> The embedded device (TI CC3100MOD) however, also has disabled certification validation, but is unable to connect to the server.

It doesn't get as far as checking any certificates.

> I post the debug log output from freeradius below, can someone explain here where is goes wrong based in the log info?

> (52) eap: Peer sent packet with method EAP Identity (1)
> (52) eap: Calling submodule eap_md5 to process data
> (52) eap_md5: Issuing MD5 Challenge

> (53) eap: Peer sent packet with method EAP NAK (3)
> (53) eap: Found mutually acceptable type PEAP (25)
> (53) eap: Calling submodule eap_peap to process data

Set the default EAP type to peap and you'll save one round trip.

> (54) eap: Peer sent packet with method EAP NAK (3)
> (54) eap: Peer NAK'd indicating it is not willing to continue
> (54) eap: Sending EAP Failure (code 4) ID 2 length 4

You need to look in the logs on the device to see why it's not willing
to continue. It hasn't even got as far as exchanging certificates.

--
Matthew