cross compiling freeradius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Oct 15 14:12:54 CEST 2020

On Oct 15, 2020, at 4:46 AM, Erich Titl <erich.titl at think.ch> wrote:
> I am trying to cross compile freeradius-server-3.0.21. Until recently we
> used a 2.x series but upgrading to openssl 1.1.1 forced us to upgrade
> freeradius too (it is probably reasonable anyway).

  Yup.  v2 has been end of life for quite a while now.

> Now with freeradius 3.0.21 I am running into an impasse as configuration
> barfs at me:
>
> checking for __builtin_choose_expr support in compiler... configure:
> error: in
> `/home/mega/leaf/devel/master-new-openssl/source/x86_64-unknown-linux-uclibc/radius/freeradius-server-3.0.21':
> configure: error: cannot run test program while cross compiling

  Hmm... I suppose we could fix the configure check to not run programs.  But that won't really help.

  The short answer is that you can edit the "configure" script to remove those checks.  Just look for that error message, and remove all of the code which references "builtin_choose_expr".

  The configure script is just shell script (terrible, terrible shell script), but it's not too bad.

  You will likely have to do the same thing for other tests, too.

> It appears that I have to disable parallel testing of the capabilities.
> Could anyone point me what to look at?

  Arguably the "configure" checks should be set up to not run any local programs.  Then cross compiling will be a lot easier.

  But in the end, we don't do a lot of cross compiling, so it's not a well-tested feature.  If someone were to supply patches... we could add them, and then ensure that cross-compiling is supported for the future.