cross compiling freeradius

Erich Titl erich.titl at think.ch
Fri Oct 16 00:18:59 CEST 2020

Am 16.10.2020 um 00:12 schrieb Alan DeKok:
> On Oct 15, 2020, at 6:08 PM, Erich Titl <erich.titl at think.ch> wrote:
>> So you are telling me that after commenting the offending macros in
>> configure.ac a make reconfig is the right thing to do?
>
>   Yes.  Maybe:
>
> ./configure
>
>   edit configure.ac
>
> make reconfig
>
>   Which will then regenerate configure.
>

>>>  Don't run autogen.sh.  It will do all kinds of stupidities in order to
>>
>> I read you and that worries me. Should it not be removed from the
>> distibution?
>
>   Probably.
>
>>>  We don't use libtool.  It's garbage.
>>
>> It appears to be put in config.status and that is created by configure
>> AFAIK.
>
>   libtool is a horrific 4K LoC shell script which is supposed to do cross-platform building.  It's insane.

So it is possible that it is invoked by the cross compile instructions

>   We use a better faster tool
>
>> Well, we have some kind of a standardised build process, grown over the
>> years. Basically it ia a Makefile which prepares the package and then
>> runs configure with predefined options and then a make using the
>> generated configuration. I would like to streamline this and doubt I
>> will easily throw all this infrastructure away. Maybe we are wrong to
>> use cross compile but this is hard to foresee as we are supporting a
>> number of different architectures, e.g. x486, x686, x86-64 and a few RPI
>> versions. I can of course control what this makefile does.
>
>   You can re-generate the "configure" script, and then use "git" to create your own repo.

Oh sure I know how to handle this. But basically I don't want to mess
around with the code provided by the freeradius project.

>> mega at leafbuilder:~/leaf/devel/master-new-openssl/source/x86_64-unknown-linux-uclibc/radius/freeradius-server-3.0.21$
>> make reconfig
>> make: Nothing to be done for 'reconfig'.
>
>   Then you didn't edit "configure.ac", I think.  Or, you regenerated "configure" after editing "configure.ac"

Indeed I did using autogen.sh, I will then start over with a virgin
tarball.

>> There appears to be some code to build libtool in the scripts directory.
>>
>> mega at leafbuilder:~/leaf/devel/master-new-openssl/source/x86_64-unknown-linux-uclibc/radius$
>> tar tjf freeradius-server-3.0.21.tar.bz2 | grep libtool
>> freeradius-server-3.0.21/scripts/jlibtool.c
>> freeradius-server-3.0.21/scripts/libtool.mk
>
>   jlibtool != libtool
>
>   We don't use libtool.  It's garbage.

I got it, let me make a start over and report

Thanks

ET

http://www.avg.com