rlm_perl - unresponsive child threads

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Oct 19 01:38:26 CEST 2020

On Oct 18, 2020, at 7:05 PM, P. R.M. <romero619 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Why?  The main SQL module can call stored procedures.  Just edit the queirs.
>
> there's some other intermediate logic involved in handling the requests, so I can't simply use the standard rlm_sql module (I initially tried, but it didn't work out).

  OK..

> The queries normally run extremely fast, under ~0.05 sec, but the rPi hardware that it's running on sometimes experiences random hiccups that cause it to slow to a halt. It's hard to predict or prevent, and I don't have the option to upgrade the hardware in this particular case, so I'm stuck dealing with it & trying to find work-arounds.

  Hmm... that sounds bad.  Even a raspberry Pi is more powerful than a server from 20 years ago.  And people were running ISPs on that hardware.

  There's just no reason for a system to *block* for 30s.  That's terrible!

> Aside from the slight harshness in your reply, I do appreciate your assistance.
> I understand how frustrating this must be for you.

  "reality based" is not "harsh".

  20 years of the same questions tends to result in very blunt answers.  i.e. *technical* answers to *technical* questions.  That's what a technical list is for.

  The problem is when people want *reassurance*.  i.e "my system is broken, but I don't want to be told that".  Their ego gets in the way of technical solutions.  That's not appropriate for a technical list.