logrotaion for detail module (auth-detail.log)

work vlpl thework.vlpl at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 16:41:32 CET 2020

Hi,

I have a question about logrotation and how FreeRADIUS handle the
situation when the log file renamed or removed.

I need to rotate a log file from `detail` module. I did the couple
tests - just tried to remove or rename `auth-detail.log` file and it
seems that FreeRADIUS just create a log file if there is no file.
However, there are old replies in mail list that saying I should use
`radmin -e "hup detail"` to recreate `auth-detail.log` file after
rotation.  http://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2017-July/088293.html
http://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2016-June/083943.html

So my question is do I still need to send HUP signal to detail module
or the changes in FreeRADIUS code were made so it not necessary
anymore?

--
Vladimir