FreeRADIUS+EAP in Alpine based docker container

victorsugo victorsugo at protonmail.com
Sun Sep 20 08:01:04 CEST 2020

I'd like to run FreeRADIUS in a docker container, but I can't start it with the default config.
(I am not sure if this is the right place for my question or should I go to an alpine forum/list.)

What I do:
$ docker run -it alpine
# apk add freeradius-eap make openssl
# cd /etc/raddb/certs
# ./bootstrap
# radiusd -X

What I wait: it starts radius server.
What I get instead of it: an error message.

# Instantiating module "eap" from file /etc/raddb/mods-enabled/eap
/etc/raddb/mods-enabled/eap[14]: Failed to find 'Auth-Type EAP' section. Cannot authenticate users.
/etc/raddb/mods-enabled/eap[14]: Instantiation failed for module "eap"

But... If I edit /etc/raddb/sites-enabled/default and change
authenticate {
-eap

authenticate {
eap

then it starts with no error.
I've tried to compare the logs with "diff -y --suppress-common-lines wrong.log good.log" and in the left column I get only that error message.
Have you got any idea, what happens, what is the problem with the conditional loading of eap module?

Regards,
Victor Sugo