moving from freeradius 2 to 3

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Apr 7 14:45:53 CEST 2021

On Apr 7, 2021, at 7:09 AM, Brian Turnbow via Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:
> We have an outdated freeradius 2.0 setup that we are looking to upgrade to 3.0.

  Good to hear.

> The old setup has a mysql db and we have run into an issue trying to replicate the same configuration with 3.0.
> We have gotten everything installed and working but in our actual setup we use some regex expressions from the db such as
>
> NAS-Port-Type  =~ ^(Ethernet|Virtual|PPPoEoVLAN)$    to filter nas port types
> or
> NAS-IP-Address	=~ ^(192.168.0.11|192.168.0.227|192.168.0.34|192.168.0.244)$  to filter which nas users can connect from
>
> In 3.0 it seems that the use of regex from a db has been removed.
> Is there a way to make it work ?

  Use unlang.  :(

> The goal
> We use different checks in different groups and assign the user to the correct group for the service he has purchased.
> If there is another way to accomplish this I am all ears.

  You can do unlang checking before running the "files" module:

	if (NAS-Port-Type =~ /Ethernet|Virtual|PPPoEoVLAN/) {
		update request {
			My-NAS-Port-Type := E_V_PPP

  And then in the DB, do:

	My-NAS-Port-Type == E_V_PPP

  You'll have to edit raddb/dictionary to add My-NAS-Port-Type as an attribute of type "string".  You can do similar things for other attributes.

  That's imperfect, but it involves minimal changes to the database contents.