Question for the list

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Apr 20 13:51:58 CEST 2021

  I've been very careful to keep corporate stuff separate from the Open Source FreeRADIUS side.  That being said, most FreeRADIUS development is now done under the banner of "Network RADIUS", which is a company I started in 2008.

  For the past few years, myself, Arran, Matthew, and a few others who contribute heavily to FreeRADIUS are largely paid out of consulting and support around FreeRADIUS.  This process has greatly increased the amount of time we can spend on FreeRADIUS.  It has also enabled us to develop new features, including the (alleged) v4 release.  It has given us a number of significant improvements in 3.0.22 (to be released soon), thanks to Terry and Nick.

  This work has also funded me to participate in the IETF, where I help to set many of the new RADIUS and EAP standards.  I don't get paid for writing standards, but it does mean that FreeRADIUS and myself get to be known as the leaders in the space.  It also means that we get to work directly with large companies such as Microsoft, Cisco, and Apple.  It means that we get to be seen as a "major player" in the space, just like Microsoft, Cisco, and Apple.

  As an example, we've been working closely with the Microsoft engineering team in order to standardize and fix issues with EAP-TLS, for TLS 1.3.  This is a big change from 10 years ago, when Microsoft would just ship code, and be surprised when it broke every RADIUS server out there.

  As of today, FreeRADIUS and Microsoft implement the new standard.  No commercial RADIUS server can say that.  So in the 20+ years of FreeRADIUS, we have gone from a small Open Source project to the leader in the space.  Multiple companies rely on FreeRADIUS, and a number have dropped their "in house" RADIUS server, and replaced them with FreeRADIUS.

  That being said, there's always more to do, and new goals to reach.

  To that end, I've started writing background articles which are hosted on the companies web site.  These articles are not directly "how to" configure FreeRADIUS.  Instead, they explain at a high level how RADIUS fits into a larger ecosystem.  The articles talk about ISP environments (large and small), universities, Active Directory, etc.  They explain *why* things happen, and *how* they happen.

  So the question is, would the list be OK with me posting occasional articles here?  It would be no more than once a week.  Or, would the list subscribers be OK with being sent links to the articles as a separate email?

  I don't normally allow off-topic discussions on the list, but I think the content could potentially be interesting and/or helpful enough to be relevant here.

  Please discuss.