networkradius pkg depo key problem

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Fri Jul 2 15:51:03 CEST 2021

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 7:55 AM Jure Simšič via Freeradius-Users <
freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to add the PGP key for freeradius pkg depo on
> https://networkradius.com/packages/ for Deebian10 and got this error:
>
> # apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 0x41382202
> Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.TGxQPJUuh5/gpg.1.sh --keyserver
> keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 0x41382202
> gpg: keyserver receive failed: No name
>
> Quick search on the net returned this answer
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66217436/gpg-keyserver-receive-failed-no-name
>
> and the working version for me was
>
> # apt-key adv --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 0x41382202
> Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.VvjetTwBbW/gpg.1.sh --keyserver
> pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 0x41382202
> gpg: key BE18FC5A41382202: public key "Network RADIUS Support (package
> signing) <packages at networkradius.com>" imported
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg:               imported: 1
>
> It seems keys.gnupg.net is deprecated..

Not only is that key server deprecated, the whole apt-key program is
deprecated.

>From the apt-key man page...

[...]

       Use of apt-key is deprecated, except for the use of apt-key del in
maintainer scripts to remove existing keys
       from the main keyring. If such usage of apt-key is desired the
additional installation of the GNU Privacy
       Guard suite (packaged in gnupg) is required.

       apt-key(8) will last be available in Debian 11 and Ubuntu 22.04.

[...]

           Note: Instead of using this command a keyring should be placed
directly in the /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/
           directory with a descriptive name and either "gpg" or "asc" as
file extension.

Perhaps skip apt-key work and go directly to putting gpg snippets in
/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ ?

-m