Using REST to Original COA

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Jul 4 14:45:12 CEST 2021

On Jul 4, 2021, at 12:43 AM, Mohammad Mahefooz <mahefooz at crashcoding.in> wrote:

> I've gone through the coa-relay document, as per my understanding it makes easy to originate coa by just specifying few attributes and remaining attributes FR will get from SQL.

  Mostly, but you still have to send a CoA packet to FreeRADIUS.

> My question wasn't about the attributes, it was about two things. One is, when to send CoA packet from REST server, is it as a reply to Access-Request or Accounting-Request request?

  The REST server doesn't get Access-Request or Accounting-Request packets.  It gets REST queries.  So it can't "reply" to Access-Request or Accounting-Request packets that it never sees.

  Instead, your REST server has to create a new CoA packet, and send it to FreeRADIUS.

> Second question is about the format of CoA packet. Do I need to generate entire text starting from "update coa/disconnect {attributes...}" or can I just send all required attributes without the "update coa/disconnect"?

  You need to use a RADIUS client to send a CoA packet.  This has nothing to do with "update coa".  That's only used in the configuration files in FreeRADIUS.