Problems with VLAN selection

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed May 5 17:16:33 CEST 2021

On May 5, 2021, at 11:10 AM, Anthony Stuckey <anthonystuckey at gmail.com> wrote:
> The documentation is crap.  Large parts of information that would be very
> valuable to have is missing.

  Like.... what?

  And it would be nice to contribute something instead of complaining.

  Another conclusion from 22 years of experience is that most people who complain about the docs would rather kill themselves than contribute documentation.  So they're left with complaining that everyone else has to do work in order to make themselves happy.

  Well, no.  That isn't how this works.

> Always answer the questions: Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How.
> Freeradius documentation is straight up hostile to "Why" and "How".  Any
> suggestion that vendor documentation like Apple's certificate requirements
> be referenced is met with an immediate "out of scope" response.  It would
> cost nothing to give people references for further learning.
> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210176

$ git grep HT210176
doc/ChangeLog:    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210176.
raddb/certs/README:    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210176
raddb/certs/xpextensions:#  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210176

  So... where ELSE do we have to put this documentation in  order for people to find it?

> While my personal hobby horse would be Windows Machine Login, I've seen a
> number of discussions that would be resolved much faster and with fewer bad
> feelings by simply having a "Vendor Resources" page and some sample
> configurations documenting known potholes.

  The Wiki is publicly editable.  Feel free to update it.

  Are you willing to make a public statement that you're going to contribute?

  If yes, great.  Your complaints will be addressed by you fixing the documentation.

  If not, too bad.  The documentation "is crap" because YOU demand that stay crappy.

  I don't get paid to answer your questions.  I don't know everything.  There's only so much time in a day, and I have to prioritize.  People who complain but never contribute are the absolute lowest priority for my time.