Any updates on authenticating against Active Directory?

Boyd, Christopher cboyd at utsystem.edu
Mon Nov 15 14:46:04 CET 2021

-----Original Message-----
Hi,
I am configuring a Freeradius server on Ubuntu 20.04 to authenticate against an Active Directory Domain. I searched online and found many documentation pages, like this one:
http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/active_directory.html but I did not find any recently produced page, every page that I found dates back to 5+ years ago and relies on Samba and ntlm_auth command.

So my question is: is this procedure still recommended? Or are there any newer procedures? Can't I query AD domain as an LDAP server, avoiding joining my Ubuntu server to the domain?
--

We're looking at this as well, but NTLM auth has been turned off in our environment. There's this page that describes how to do auth with Kerberos, which may work, but I have not had a chance to test it yet. https://www.anyroam.net/node/90

--Chris