Assign DNS server when authenticate

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Apr 1 13:41:50 UTC 2022

On Apr 1, 2022, at 9:37 AM, Carina V. Barca <carvandar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a freeradius: FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.12, for host i486-pc-linux-gnu,

  I would suggest updating to at least 2.2.10.  It will be compatible with the 2.1.12 configuration files, and it contains a number of bug fixes.

> I need it to assign dns when authenticating, is it possible? How can I do this?

  This isn't generally possible.

  DNS is assigned via DHCP.  RADIUS just returns yes/no for network access, and things like VLAN information.

  Think of it this way: the RADIUS Access-Accept is a message to the NAS, telling the NAS what to do.  The end-user machine doesn't see any of that.

  DHCP is a message to the end-user system.  So that's where DNS assignment goes.