Faild binding to auth address error

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Apr 14 19:47:34 UTC 2022

On Apr 14, 2022, at 3:34 PM, Matthew Budrey <jazzman20014 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Got a newly built Freeradius server running on Ubuntu server that is
> showing the following error;
> Failed binding to auth address * port 1812 bound to server default:
> Address already in use

  There's already a server running.

  You can't run the server in daemon mode and in debug mode at the same time.

> By stopping the service, the error goes away, but as soon as the
> service is restarted the error is back, see below output of the
> running instances.

  I'm not sure what you expect it to do.

> After spending a lot of time looking for ways to resolve this issue
> today, they all talk about processes already using the ports, assuming
> I'm reading this correctly, then that's not what I'm seeing as there
> is only the active instance and the grep process.
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions on how to resolve this at all?

  Resolve what?

  You can't run two copies of the server at the same time, and have them listen on the same ports.

  If you want to run the server in debug mode, then you have to stop the background process / daemon.  This is how things work.