LDAP on GC with TLS in upgrade from FreeRadius 2 to FreeRadius 3 not working

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Apr 20 16:16:12 UTC 2022

On Apr 20, 2022, at 12:11 PM, Xin Huang <xin.huang at forescout.com> wrote:
> I am trying to troubleshoot an issue with the ldap module after upgrading from FreeRadius version 2.2.9 to FreeRadius version 3.0.19.
>
> When using the GC LDAPs port (3269) the LDAP-Group search no longer works on FR3. It seems that the ldap module does not attempt to start tls on port 3269. In a packet capture I can see that there is no TLS certificate exchange, and FreeRadius sends cleartext username and password after TCP handshake, then the LDAP server immediately sends a RST.
> In contrast, on FR2, there is a tls negotiation starting and then when successful it is able to perform the LDAP-Group search.

  See https://networkradius.com/packages/

  Look for "ldap".

> ..
> radiusd:7878:1650470518.552032:Wed Apr 20 11:01:58 2022: ldap_url_parse_ext(ldap://csurf-dot1x-dc1.csurflab.local:3269)
> radiusd:7878:1650470518.552046:Wed Apr 20 11:01:58 2022: TLSMC: MozNSS compatibility interception begins.

  Yeah, that's garbage.  It doesn't work.

  And PLEASE follow the documentation: http://wiki.freeradius.org

  We do NOT not need to see the server run with "-xxxxxxxxx".  It DOES NOT HELP.

  We do NOT need to see the configuration files.  It DOES NOT HELP.

  Following the documentation DOES help to debug and solve issues.