reconnect to mysql on DB write errors

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Apr 26 11:27:09 UTC 2022

On Apr 25, 2022, at 8:55 PM, Cypher A <cyphera at gmail.com> wrote:

> I completely agree with you though the control of the DB is outside my realm. I somehow needs to find a way to detect this

  To detect *what*?  That's the question.

  Yes, it's "detect when stuff goes wrong".  But WHAT is going wrong?  What error message is being sent to FreeRADIUS?

  i.e. using the information available to FreeRADIUS, how can it tell (a) what's wrong, and (b) do something about it?  Until you get this information, it will be difficult to automatically solve the problem.

  And maybe tell the DB people to stop doing stupid things, because it's breaking the RADIUS server.  I've never heard of DBs being made randomly read-only while they're being used in productions.  It's a sign of incompetence, TBH.

> and do something so radiusd can recover as quick as possible. I thought resource-check was the solution, maybe still is, just unsure of the last piece.

  You're trying to solve the problem by looking at what *you* know about it.  That isn't enough.  You have to look at the network, and see what information is available there.

  What bit goes by in the network which lets FreeRADIUS see that something is wrong?