Some points regarding new version 3.2.0.

CpServiceSPb cpservicespb at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 22:11:22 UTC 2022

There is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS x64 noGUI with kernel 5.4.0-124.
I built deb packages from sources using deb rules downloaded
freeradius_3.2.0+dfsg-1.debian.tar.xz
<http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/freeradius/freeradius_3.2.0+dfsg-1.debian.tar.xz>

Having done some changes, and created some patches I successfully built
Freeradius of 3.2.0 version as well as launched successfully on my system.
But there are some different points in comparison with 3.0.25 one.

1. If  Freeradius is launched from freerad user (non-root) and interface/IP
binding is set up, ,error is got:
Failed binding to interface eth0: Operation not permitted
Error: /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/default[59]: Error binding to port for
192.168.0.254 port 1812

Uncommenting of
#AmbientCapabilities=CAP_NET_ADMIN CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE CAP_NET_BROADCAST
CAP_NET_RAW CAP_SETUID CAP_SETGID CAP_CHOWN CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE
didn' t solve the situation.
Run setcap cap_net_admin=ei /usr/bin/freeradius
didn' t solve the situation.

Changing of User=freerad to User=root in freeradius.service solved this.
During this, user in radiusd.conf wasn' t touched at all, that is it
remained freerad.
At the time freeradius is shown as launched from freerad user.
Is this correct ?
Or what way is the right one to solve this situation ?

2. There is /usr/sbin/freeradius -f in the processes list, not simply
/usr/sbin/freeradius as was with the previous version (for example 3.0.21) .
As follows, pid file is not created.
Is this correct ?

3. File cache_eap absence among available modules as it was with previous
versions.
Is it correct ?

4. What is the best value for "key' in the ippool module for pxe and common
dhcp clients ?
With value "%{NAS-IP_Address} %{NAS-Port}" IP addresses sometimes are not
assigned at all to clients.
Why, I don' t understand.
Deleting the DB, restarting  Freeradius and repeated requests (for example
ipconfig /renew) temporarily helped me with it.