Unable to start radiusd, permission issues, and minimal configuration

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Dec 2 00:17:09 UTC 2022

On Dec 1, 2022, at 6:24 PM, James Prestwood <prestwoj at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've also got some additional questions as to how difficult it would be
> to strip down the configuration, hopefully to a few files?

  You've got to understand what the configuration is doing.  But it's not hard.  Just take it slowly, deleting files you don't need, or configuration bits you're not using.

> I'm trying to add freeradius to our automated testing framework for
> wifi, which currently uses hostapd's internal radius server for all EAP
> tests which is basically two config files. The problem is its not
> testing against a RADIUS server that you would encounter in real life,
> like freeradius. So I would like to test against freeradius as well and
> hopefully catch any subtle differences between the two implementations.

  I'm not sure what you're trying to catch.  hostapd follows the specs, as does FreeRADIUS.  And both are *very* widely used.

  If there's an issue with either one, it will be discovered very quickly.

> The framework runs on a minimal kernel VM and all daemon configurations
> are held in our upstream project (e.g. dbus, dhcpd, radvd, hostapd
> etc.). The freeradius config is an entire folder structure with many
> config files so duplicating that upstream isn't really desired. I've
> seen "don't modify the config" everywhere, but that aside, is a minimal
> configuration possible? we only need EAP.

  The server comes with many files in "mods-available" and "sites-available".  If you're not using those, you can delete them.

  A minimal configuration of the server is maybe 100 lines, plus the EAP module configuration.  It just takes time and effort to clean up for your local needs.