Understanding dynamic radiusClients in openldap

Dave Macias davama at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 19:57:52 UTC 2022

Hello,

Looking here:
https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/master/doc/schemas/ldap/openldap/freeradius-clients.ldif

And here:

https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/9e6d1e60aa2e829a186b87331f12b413a6cc6d07/raddb/sites-available/dynamic-clients#L274-L317

Im trying to create a client for a NAS in my ldap service

dn: cn=xx:xx:xx:xxff:fe57:cd00,ou=clients,ou=radius,dc=datacom,dc=net
objectClass: radiusClient
cn: xx:xx:xx:xxff:fe57:cd00
radiusClientShortname: location1
radiusClientIdentifier: name-of-nas
radiusClientSecret: asdfasdfasdfasdf123123asdf

But I get:
ldap_add: Object class violation (65)
additional info: attribute 'cn' not allowed

Which makes sense since the schema does not have `cn` .... so trying to
understand how to add a radiusClient. I've also tried instead of cn, ou but
same output. Does anyone have a sample ldif?

Looking at the dynamic-clients file, it says about setting the "location"
attribute but I don't see it...

Any input is much appreciated!

Thank you,
Dave