pam_radius module: How to reject authentication immediately when RADIUS fails?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Wed Feb 23 13:57:04 UTC 2022

On 2/23/22 14:35, Alan DeKok wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2022, at 5:54 AM, Ole Holm Nielsen via Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:
>>
>> I could not find this question as an FAQ or by google searches, so can anyone help?
>
>    This is really a question for PAM.  I find PAM rather opaque.  It's very difficult to understand.  And debugging?  Debugging doesn't exist.
>
>> Question: If the user fails RADIUS authentication, how can we reject the SSH login immediately without proceeding to other authentication methods?
>
>    IIRC you list pam_auth_radius as "requisite" instead of "sufficient": https://linux.die.net/man/5/pam.d

I already tried "requisite" instead of "sufficient".  Then I must also
comment out the line:

auth       substack     password-auth

But users that fail RADIUS authentication continue to get the same 5
password questions that I'm trying to ge trid of :-(

>> Question: Does anyone have a method for /etc/pam.d/sshd which will skip the superfluous password questions and reject the user immediately if RADIUS fails?
>
>    See the PAM documentation for how to configure PAM.  This is relatively well documented, if difficult to understand.

Well, yes, and I know almost nothing about PAM :-(  I was hoping that
someone on this list would already have figured out the correct solution
for pam_radius...

Best regards,
Ole