3.2.0: TLS-* attributes for incoming and outgoing RadSec connections

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Fri Jun 3 08:48:15 UTC 2022

Hello,

while playing with RadSec inbound and outbound I noticed that for both
directions, the cert properties of the other end are stored in a series
of TLS-Client-Cert-* attributes.

But when initiating an outbound connection, these attributes store the
properties of the *server* we are contacting, while the name suggests
something about client (which would be our own cert, which is useless).

Example:

(TLS) Trying new outgoing proxy connection to proxy (0.0.0.0, 0) ->
home_server (145.100.189.5, 2083)
Requiring Server certificate

[...]

(0)  TLS-Client-Cert-Common-Name := "slagroom.eduroam.nl"

That should really be TLS-Server-Cert-Common-Name (same goes for all
other properties of course).

In the other direction, i.e. when serving an incoming client connection,
the use of the -Client- attributes is of course semantically correct.

Could these attributes be duplicated for -Server and be populated as
such during outbound connections?

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
This email may contain information for limited distribution only, please treat accordingly.

Fondation Restena, Stefan WINTER
Chief Technology Officer
2, avenue de l'Université
L-4365 Esch-sur-Alzette