Question on dynamic home_server

Michael Schwartzkopff ms at sys4.de
Tue Jun 14 09:20:18 UTC 2022

On 14.06.22 07:03, Yushu Shi (yusshi) via Freeradius-Users wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Need some help with using freeradius as a proxy to two radius server pools.
> The requirement is like below:
>
>    *   There are two server pools, identified with host names: primary.radius.myorg.com  and secondary.radius.myorg.com.
>    *   DNS request to the two host names returns the IP addresses of several servers in the pool in a round robin fashion, i.e, “host primary.radius.myorg.com” command returns 3 IP addresses.
>    *   IP address of each server may get changed. Need to honor DNS TTL timer.
>    *   All auth requests should be directed to the hosts in the primary pool round robin, and only fail over to the secondary if all hosts behind the primary are unresponsive.
>
> Is there any way to accomplish these requirements without restarting the process? How should I create the home_server pools in proxy.conf to do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Yushu
>
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Config examples in proxy.conf.

For your needs try to utilize the fallback option in the
home_server_pool of primary home servers.

I suggest not to use the DNS round-robin but to trust the FreeRADIUS
build-in methods of load distribution. I you use DNS RR the build-in
down detection of home servers will be useless.

For details see proxy.conf.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

--

[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG,80333 München