Proxy - Home Server Management

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Mar 2 14:46:12 UTC 2022

On Mar 2, 2022, at 9:37 AM, Mucci Andrea via Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:
> We have seen that the change of state from live to dead is independent between the auth port and the acct port.

  Yes, because they're two different ports.  And the two ports can have different RADIUS servers running on them.

  They are completely independent.

> If Home Server "RAD-ROUTEDW3-1" is unreachable, I will have to wait ten Access-Requests before sending an Access-Request to "RAD-ROUTEDW3-2".

  The number of packets doesn't matter.  The *timers* matter.

> Now the Accounting-Request packet with Acct-Status-Type = 1 is not sent to the "RAD-ROUTEDW3-2"(The live Home Server), but again to the "RAD-ROUTEDW3-1" which however is unreachable.
> So I'll have to wait another ten Accounting-Request before sending the request to the live Home Server.

  Again, the number of packets doesn't matter.

> Maybe it was better to handle the change of state live, zombie, dead by Home Server and not by port.

  Perhaps, but there are also cases where those servers are different, and need to be handled differently.

> Is there a way to force the sending of the Accounting-Request to the same Home Server to which the Access-Request was sent?

  You can use "radmin" to force a particular to be up or down.  See "set home_server state "

  Or, you have the source code to FreeRADIUS.  You can change the code so that the states of the auth/acct servers are tied together.

  As always, patches are welcome.