Reporting on active users using radwho

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri May 13 13:10:36 UTC 2022

On May 13, 2022, at 4:56 AM, Djerk Geurts via Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:
> I wasn’t able to figure out how to get the number of active users out of admin stats, but that’s likely me being stupid.

  No, it's not supported.  You can do "help" at various points with radmin, and it will tell you which commands are allowed.

> I enabled it and played around and quickly figured that a MySQL query to the redact table would be easier.

  Yes.  We're looking at adding sample stats queries to SQL, and then somehow tying that to radmin.  But it takes a bit of thinking to get it done correctly.

> Accounting was already set up, so all I had to do was to figure out the SQL queries and wrap that in a little code. This works perfect and is quick and reliable.

  Excellent.

> Initially I had planned to report active users per Radius server, but this detail isn’t in the redacts table and would be unreliable as one server may auth and another may get the acct data. Plus radsniff gives me access requests, rejects and response times per server, so I don’t have a need to replicate this in a report about active subscribers.

  Yes, users aren't logged in to a "RADIUS server".  Especially if you have many servers.  Users are logged into your network.  And all of the login information should be stored in one database.

> @Alan Thank you for your help, much appreciated!

  You're welcome.