FreeRadius server 3.0.21 user name case insensitivity

Luveh Keraph 1.41421 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 16:10:54 UTC 2022

Out of the box, when fed a user name and password for authentication, the
FreeRadius server 3.0.21 processes the user name in a case-sensitive way. I
would like to configure my server so that it processes user names
case-insensitively. So far what I have done is to add the following line to
my /etc/raddb/mods-enabled/files file, within the file { } block:

      key = "%{%{Stripped-User-Name}:-%{tolower:%{User-Name}}}"

This converts the user names received to all-lowercase. With this,
things work as expected as long as I make sure to define my RADIUS users in
my server's users file with all lowercase characters.

Is it, however, possible to configure the FreeRadius server so that it
compares input user names against those in the server's default users
database in a case-insensitive way, so that names in this database - just a
plaintext file, really - can be entered in mixed case?