Monitor the number of open EAP sessions

Sergey Marochkin umnik.ru at gmail.com
Tue May 24 15:28:02 UTC 2022

Hi everyone!

I am facing a problem when freeradius reports that the limit of open
sessions has been reached. These are log entries, like "Too many open
sessions. Try increasing "max_sessions" in the EAP module configuration".

During the debugging, it was determined that some ios devices
(ipad/iphone), for a reason unknown to me, cyclically cannot complete
eap/tls authentication process. I found that these devices successfully
start communicating with the NAS (send EAP-Response/Identity). But after
receiving the (TLS Start)-message, they no longer send the (TLS
client_hello)-message, and restart the association process with the access
point and therefore open a new EAP session. If recreate a wifi connection
on such a device, it will connect successfully.

Until I find the root cause of this behavior, I would like to monitor the
number of open sessions of the radius server. But I couldn't find a
suitable way to do it. Here is what I tried:
- use the "status server" tool, but there is no suitable one among its
counters
- use tool "control-socket" and radmin but also i didn't find suitable
counter

Can you help me with this question?

Thanks!