update-disconnect and originate-coa

Antonios Kalkakos akalkakos at hotmail.com
Mon May 30 08:08:36 UTC 2022

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out how to disconnect a user using the
originate-coa and update disconnect{} using FreeRADIUS 3.0.21 on Debian
11. Sorry if it seems a bit stupid, but I am really confused and
frustrated...

Let's say that a user configured in user's file "testuser
Cleartext-Password := "password", Login-Time := "Wk1000-1400"" should be
disconnected after the permitted Login-Time has passed. I enabled and
changed the contents of the originate-coa according to it's
documentation, using the correct NAS IP address, secret etc and added
the coa_server = coa under the appropriate NAS section in clients.conf.

According to my understanding FreeRADIUS should have generated coa
messages to the NAS but it didn't do anything.

Is this the correct way to forcibly disconnect the user using
originate-coa?

Sorry again if the following question may be a bit stupid, but what is
the recommended place in the virtual server (except pre- or post-proxy)
to put update coa{} or update disconnect{}?

Using radclient (cat packet.txt | radclient -x <nas ip address>:3799
disconnect "secret"") with the Acct-Session-Id obtained from freeradius
-X output and the NAS coa secret, the user was disconnected normally.

Thank you very much in advance,
Antonios Kalkakos