Cannot increase open file descriptors above 1024

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Nov 17 17:17:17 UTC 2022

On Nov 17, 2022, at 11:04 AM, Ibrahemoo Ghost <ibrahemooghost at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use FreeRADIUS Version 3.0.20 as both proxy and (auth/acct) server.
> I have more than 80 realms with over 180 clients connected. Every one
> of them is redirecting to a different site file with separate sql
> module to a seperate database in the same db server.

  Multiple SQL module can share a pool of connections to one database.  See the documentation in mods-available/sql.

> My problem is with this large amount of databases and tables i hit the
> fixed limit of 1024 open file descriptors and the radius.log file
> shows:
> mysql error: can't create unix socket (24)

  There's just no reason to use 1024 sockets.  If the SQL module all share the same pool, then the number of file descriptors will go down enormously.

> I double checked with:
> ls /proc/${freeradius_pid}/fd | wc -l
> it prints 1024 that's why I am sure its problem with the open files limit

  That's an OS limit.  See your OS documentation for how to fix it.

> I tried to increase it manually but with no luck at all.
> Whenever I increase it the freeradius server stops working.

  I have no idea what that means.

> So is there something I can do to increase the file descriptors limit ?
> Or am I doing something wrong?

  Configure the SQL modules to share connection pools as documented.