Questions about particular uses of line log module

Coy Hile coy.hile at coyhile.com
Thu Oct 20 12:57:28 UTC 2022

Good morning,

I have an interesting use case for the linelog module. I want to get information about successful and unsuccessful authentication attempts in one place in a format that is easily consumable by, e.g. log shipping tools.  So far, I’ve found that I can do a config snippet  such as

   Access-Accept = "%T Accepted User: %{User-Name} NAS-IP-Address %{NAS-IP-Address} Access-Level: %{Tmp-String-0}”

to get the user, device and access level granted to the engineer.

Is there any way that we could get the VSAs that get returned so we could log them here as well? Sure, we get them in the detailed reply_logs, but those aren’t the most useful thing for a log aggregation tool to parse. If I know the device is, e.g. Cisco or Juniper, I’d just log %{Cisco-AVPair} or %{JunOS-Local-User-Name}, but I’d rather do that in a more vendor-agnostic way if I can.

Worst case, I can just use the detail files if necessary and let the log-shipping tool figure it out.

Thanks,

--
Coy Hile
coy.hile at coyhile.com