dot1x, MAB and EAP-TLS/PEAP with Freeradius

Vieri Di Paola vieridipaola at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 10:08:34 UTC 2022

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 3:42 PM Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

>   Are these from different NASes?  i.e. are the RADIUS packets for WiFi coming from a different IP address than RADIUS packets for wired?

They are now, but this might change in the future as they might come
from the same NASes.

>   Don't set a DEFAULT which applies to all packets.  Instead, read the debug output to see how the MAB packets are different from the 802.1X packets.
>
>   Then, write "unlang" rules to match the MAB packets (but not the 802.1X packets!).  Something like:

The only thing I found that could identify the packet as being MAB
(well, Cisco's MAB implementation) is:

Cisco-AVPair = "method=mab"

It seems to always be in 3rd position, but I don't know if this is reliable.

(1)   Cisco-AVPair = "service-type=Call Check"
(1)   Cisco-AVPair = "audit-session-id=AC1CAFF4000000222E048EA2"
(1)   Cisco-AVPair = "method=mab"

This seems to work fine for me:

if ("%{request:Cisco-AVPair[2]}" == "method=mab" && !EAP-Message)  -> TRUE

as well as this:

if ("%{request:Cisco-AVPair[*]}" =~ /method=mab/ && !EAP-Message)  -> TRUE

I don't know if I should also check for the presence of
"service-type=Call Check".

So anyway, I can set the following condition in authorize and "accept"
without filtering:

if ("%{request:Cisco-AVPair[*]}" =~ /method=mab/ && !EAP-Message) {
    accept
}

In post-auth I will then add a condition to lookup the MAC addr. in
local DB, eg:

            if (EAP-Message)  { # all my wireless and wired
EAP-TLS/PEAP clients should go here
                # determine &MY_VLAN_ID (local DB lookup)
                update reply {
                        &Tunnel-Type := VLAN
                        &Tunnel-Medium-Type := IEEE-802
                        &Tunnel-Private-Group-Id := &MY_VLAN_ID
                }
            } else { # all my other clients should end up here (in my
case, via MAB only)
                # determine &MY_VLAN_ID (different local DB lookup)
else &MY_VLAN_ID = 1
                update reply {
                        &Tunnel-Type := VLAN
                        &Tunnel-Medium-Type := IEEE-802
                        &Tunnel-Private-Group-Id := &MY_VLAN_ID

It seems to be working for me now.

Do you see anything foolish security-wise in my setup?

Thanks!