Stuck on ntlm_auth/mschap setup between FreeRADIUS & Samba DC (Alan DeKok)

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Sep 13 18:55:05 UTC 2022

On Sep 13, 2022, at 10:57 AM, Jesper Nemholt <jfn at dataradical.com> wrote:
>>  How about configuring FreeRADIUS to just use "foo" for the
>> "--username=foo" field?  The mschap module has extensive documentation on
>> this subject.  Perhaps try:
>>
>>        ... --username=%{mschap:User-Name} ...
>
> I did try that also. Mschap will then fail with an error about the missing
> domain like this :
>
> (0) Login incorrect (mschap: No NT-Domain was found in the User-Name):
> [jfn/<via Auth-Type = mschap>] (from client localhost port 0)

  That only happens when the user logs in without a domain.

  So.. you can selectively choose which name is used:

	 --username=%{%{mschap:User-Name}:%{Stripped-User-Name}....

> Did not do anything random but followed the guide at
> http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/active_directory.html
> and also the Samba FreeRADIUS guide for comparison.
> The first one is the one you recommended to follow and the one I primarily
> used.

  That's good.  What is worrying is comments like "I tried a bunch of stuff and it didn't work".  It's difficult to offer good advice for those kinds of comments.

> In any case I resolved the issue and all works now. The problem was not in
> the FreeRADIUS configuration, but on the domain controller.

  Good to hear.