looking for help on an unusual config

dan dandenson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 19:31:43 UTC 2022

'Alan, thanks for the help here, I appreciate it.  Took me a minute to
get freeradius installed and hack my way through the very basics but
here's what I have.

Test setup is ubuntu 22.04 freeradius from repos.  Mikrotik routeros
v7 'router' running DHCP with radius pointed to the ubuntu box.
Another mikrotik v7 'bridge' to insert DHCP option 82.
The data it inserts is:
Agent Circuit ID = 'mAP-1 eth 0/2'
Agent Remote ID = 'ether2'

So I'm looking for the Circuit ID here.

freeradius -X -x with the client for the mikrotik router.

I'm using a yealink phone as the target device here because it's handy.

Ready to process requests
(8) Received Accounting-Request Id 76 from 192.168.1.208:50139 to
192.168.1.211:1813 length 216
(8)   User-Name = "00:15:65:A4:E0:1F"
(8)   NAS-Port-Type = Ethernet
(8)   NAS-Port = 2208301057
(8)   Service-Type = Framed-User
(8)   Calling-Station-Id = "1:0:15:65:a4:e0:1f"
(8)   Framed-IP-Address = 100.72.2.199
(8)   Called-Station-Id = "APs"
(8)   Agent-Remote-Id = 0x657468657232
(8)   ADSL-Agent-Remote-Id = 0x657468657232
(8)   Agent-Circuit-Id = 0x6d41502d312065746820302f32
(8)   ADSL-Agent-Circuit-Id = 0x6d41502d312065746820302f32
(8)   Event-Timestamp = "Sep 22 2022 19:15:06 UTC"
(8)   Acct-Status-Type = Stop
(8)   Acct-Session-Id = "0100a083"
(8)   Acct-Authentic = Local
(8)   Acct-Session-Time = 2218
(8)   NAS-Identifier = "RLB-Access"
(8)   Acct-Delay-Time = 0
(8)   NAS-IP-Address = 192.168.1.208

Agent-Remote-Id's HEX converts to 'ether2'
Agent-Circuit-Id's HEX converts to 'mAP-1 eth 0/2'
The 'ADSL versions are identical data so either one I think is usable..

On some platforms I can manipulate these two values.  On these
Mikrotik's Remote ID is always set to the device id + serialized port
id, 'mAP-1' is the 'bridge' device's identification (I can change
this) and 'eth 0/2' is switch1, port 2  So basically I want to use the
'Agent-Circuit-Id'.  Other platforms like cambiums cnwave I manually
put this data into the customer prem radio, so that's likely the
radio's MAC address.  On Ubiquiti I can't remember but I think it's
radio name + port number as well.  I can verify this later.  End of
the day, the HEX value of agent id I think is what I want as the
username *AND* what I want freeradius to reply for Client ID.