Computer/Machine Authentication almost working..

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Apr 3 14:36:48 UTC 2023

On Apr 3, 2023, at 9:32 AM, Tim ODriscoll <tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk> wrote:

>> Where did you get that from? ntlm_auth works just fine from the terminal:
>
> I'm not entirely sure which site told me that - I've been looking up lots of things regarding ntlm_auth today..

  Many third-party sites are just horrifically wrong.  For one example, look up "PAP vs CHAP".  The content on most of those web sites is entirely wrong.

> I get the same result as you with a CLI test:
> # ntlm_auth --username=tim.odriscoll
> Password:
> :  (0x0)
>
> So how can I find out why FR isn't able to use ntlm_auth?

  It helps to blame the correct thing.  The correct description is "ntlm_auth is passing data to AD, and AD is returning NO".

  The clearer description helps you to understand the problem better.   If you start out with an incorrect description of the problem, then you generally end up looking in the wrong place for the solution.