FreeRadius 3.2.3 not starting due to missing MongoDB driver

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Aug 22 14:17:20 UTC 2023

On Aug 22, 2023, at 9:59 AM, Ibrahim Al Mahfooz <ibrahim.nezar at sevennet.net> wrote:

> Thank you Alan. We will give it a try in a testing environment. However
> since there is a performance penalty thing you highlighted in the other
> thread
> https://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2023-August/103491.html,
> actually we changed our mind when it came to production until that async
> API driver get developed by Mongo. We also put my vote on the Mongo page
> for this request.

  The performance penalty is likely the difference between 5K packets/s and 20K packets/s.  So if you have a small system, it doesn't matter.

  The async stuff in v4 is largely there to permit higher scaling.  i.e. millions to tens of millions of users.  Right now, v3 runs just fine for hundreds of thousands of users and more.  But it could be better, which is why we're doing v4.