Realm Config

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Aug 25 12:51:53 UTC 2023

On Aug 24, 2023, at 5:28 PM, Carlos Botejara <cbotejara at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have two scenarios, and I need to authorize users and devices separately.
> In the first case, I have remote users that need to access a specific
> network.
> In the second case, I have remote devices installed in the field and I need
> to access another network.

  You can write a bunch of if / then / else statements to implement any logic you want.

  The usual recommendation is to write down exactly what you have, and what you want the server to do.  Be as specific as possible.  Just use normal language.

  When all that's done, translate it to "unlang".  It will generally be fairly simple.

> Now, I need to send specific configurations to both scenarios, depending on
> the Realm on where the connection comes from, like vlan-id, bandwidth,
> quota, etc.

  if (realm a) {
		... stuff for realm a ...
  }

  if (realm b) {
		... stuff for realm b ...
  }

  You can put anything inside of the "if" block.  You can have two different SQL modules, which look at different tables, or even different databases.

> For example, for scenario1 (users), the authentication is through pppoe,
> and the Mikrotik sends User and Password, and works fine.
>
> Attach a log.
>
> (9)   Mikrotik-Rate-Limit = "3584K/7168K"
> (9)   Acct-Input-Octets = 2513739245

  That's an accounting packet.  It's not an authentication packet.  You can't apply VLAN assignment to accounting packet.

  I would suggest paying attention to what's going on, and how the server works.  If you're trying to write rules for Access-Request packets, then there is absolutely no reason to post an example accounting packet to the list.

  Attention to detail is critical here.  If you're randomly trying things, you will never get anything done.  If you don't look at what you're doing, you will also never get anything done.

> For scenario2, the devices need to be authenticated through mac address,
> via DHCP server.

  What does that mean?

  DHCP servers don't authenticate MAC addresses.  If you just put random words together, they don't make sense.

  You have to describe (and understand) exactly what happens.

  WHEN the user connects, THEN it does DHCP to the mikrotik.  THEN the mikrotik sends an Access-Request packet to the RADIUS server.  The Access-Request packet contains the MAC in attribute X, and also some other attributes, A, B, C, etc.

> The DHCP Server sends to Radius the mac address device as username but
> doesn't send a password.

  So?

  And... is that packet a secret?  Did you pay attention to any documentation which said "POST THE DEBUG OUTPUT" ?

  We also don't need to see an accounting packet which has no MAC address or anything else interesting in it.  I don't understand why you would ask about Access-Request packets and MAC addresses... and then post an Accounting-Request packet with no MAC.

  None of that makes sense.  It's just wasting everyones time.

> I hope I have been clear now, and I hope you can help me.
> If you need more information, please let me know.

  How about posting information about the problem you have?  I.e. the full debug log of an Access-Request.  Not part of a random Accounting-Request packet.

  I don't understand why this has to be so difficult.  I can't read your mind.  I don't have access to your systems.  I only know what you post to the list.  Yet over and over, you don't post anything useful, or you post irrelevant information.

  Do you want this problem solved?  Then describe what you're doing.  Accurately.  If this doesn't happen, I'm just going to give up.