Socket Error

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Dec 13 17:32:56 UTC 2023

On Dec 13, 2023, at 12:17 PM, Deepansha Gaur <dgaur at ualberta.ca> wrote:
> I am running freeradius -X and getting this error:
> Failed creating control socket "/var/run/freeradius/freeradius.sock":
> Control socket '/var/run/freeradius/freeradius.sock' is already in use

  The server is already running as a background process.  You have to stop that process before starting it in debug mode.

  See your local OS documentation for how to do this.

> I have tried to delete the freeradius.sock file and then it gives me
> another error:
> Failed binding to auth address * port 1812 bound to server default: Address
> already in use
> /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/default[59]: Error binding to port for
> 0.0.0.0 port 1812

  That's the same cause.

> I try killing the freeradius session and then it give me the same socket
> error again.

  Because the OS automatically restarts it.

> When I reboot, I don't see these errors, could you please help
> on fixing this?

  Something like "service freeradius stop" should work.  But it depends on your OS, so don't just blindly try that.

  Read the OS documentation for how to start / stop services.