Socket Error

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Dec 13 20:15:59 UTC 2023

On Dec 13, 2023, at 1:45 PM, Deepansha Gaur <dgaur at ualberta.ca> wrote:

> Thanks TIll. I am using Ubuntu 22.
>
> I tried restarting the service using systemctl and have this debug output:

  I have to ask if you're reading the messages here.  Because so far, it looks like you're not.

  No one said to RESTART the service.

  You were told to STOP the service.

  Then run it in DEBUG MODE.

  This is basic unix administration.  If the server is running, it's using port 1812 and the control socket.  So you can't start a SECOND server in debug mode which uses the SAME PORT.

  Make sure that ONE SERVER IS RUNNING AT A  TIME.

  STOP THE SERVER USING THE SERVICE COMMAND.

  Use "ps" to be sure that no "radiusd" or "freeradius" process is running.

  Then DO NOT START THE SERVICE USING THE SERVICE COMMAND.

  Instead, USE DEBUG MODE ON THE COMMAND LINE.

  I really don't know how to explain this more clearly.  No matter what people suggest, you insist on ignoring that advice, and restarting the service in the background.  This won't work.  It will never work.

  The problem you're running into isn't a FreeRADIUS issue.  It's an issue with (a) administering your local machine using the correct tools for the OS, and (b) actually reading what people tell you to do.