rlm_ldap : cipher_list parameter support ?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jan 30 13:37:53 UTC 2023

On Jan 30, 2023, at 8:32 AM, Arnaud LAURIOU <arnaud.lauriou at renater.fr> wrote:
> With FR 3.2.1, ubuntu 20.04, I can't bind to LDAP server using an old TLS 1.0 version.
>
> With TLS section parameters in ldap.conf :
> tls {
>   start_tls = no
>   ca_file  = "/etc/freeradius/ca_cert_hosting/12126560.pem"
>   require_cert  = demand
>   tls_min_version = "1.0"
>   cipher_list = "DEFAULT at SECLEVEL=1"
> }

  The LDAP module doesn't support setting the cipher suite.  We're happy to accept patches.  See

https://www.openldap.org/software//man.cgi?query=ldap_get_option&sektion=3&apropos=0&manpath=OpenLDAP+2.6-Release

  and

LDAP_OPT_X_TLS_CIPHER_SUITE

> I have in debug log for this LDAP server :
> # Loaded module rlm_ldap
>    tls {
>         ca_file = "/etc/freeradius/ca_cert_hosting/12126560.pem"
>         tls_min_version = "1.0"
>         start_tls = no
>         require_cert = "demand"
>    }

  Yes.  The debug output only prints the values it uses.

> And the error when trying to bind :
> TLS: can't connect: (unknown error code).
>
> It seems that 'cipher_list' parameter has disappeared in the debug log, is this parameter
> supported in ldap.conf ?

  Apparently not.

> If not, how can I bind and check certificate ('demand' or 'hard' option) to a TLS 1.0
> LDAP server ?

  Patch the source.  There isn't really any other way.