EAP-MSCHAPv2 and AD Authentication w/o ntlm_auth

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jul 10 14:28:38 UTC 2023

On Jul 10, 2023, at 10:11 AM, BOUILLOUD Corentin <cbouilloud at systra.com> wrote:
> I would like to use Kerberos instead of ntlm_auth to authenticate AD users with FreeRADIUS.

  Does Kerberos support MS-CHAP?  Does Kerberos supply a clear-text password to FreeRADIUS?

  The answer to both of those questions is "no".

> I configured 'mschap' module to directly use winbind daemon directly and, If I understood samba documentation properly,
> winbindd can't authenticate users himself. It uses 'pam_winbind' module that we can configure to use Kerberos.

  I don't think that's correct  pam_winbind talks to the windbindd process.  That process then talks to Samba, and then to AD.  This is all documented:

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/pam_winbind.8.html

	pam_winbind is a PAM module that can authenticate users against the local domain by talking to the Winbind daemon.

> Could you confirm me that it is correct and/or possible in another way ?

  You cannot use Kerberos to authenticate MS-CHAP.  It's impossible.

> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/pam_winbind.8.html
> krb5_auth
>    pam_winbind can authenticate using Kerberos when winbindd is talking to an Active Directory domain controller.
>    Kerberos authentication must be enabled with this parameter.

  That means the pam_windbind software can talk Kerberos to winbindd, which then sends the Kerberos data to AD.

  It doesn't mention MS-CHAP.  Because it's impossible to use Kerberos to authenticate MS-CHAP.

  The mschap module documents what's possible.  If you want to do MS-CHAP authentication with AD, use Samba and ntlm_auth, or winbind.  As is documented in the mschap module configuration.