FR behavior when DB not available

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jul 19 12:04:18 UTC 2023

On Jul 19, 2023, at 2:25 AM, Anatoliy <cphlpd at gmail.com> wrote:
> With this configuration, I can , for example, mark DB failed , before MW .
> and this will prevent unnecessary connections to DB that will fail...

  This helps a little bit, but it doesn't help when connections are blocked.

  The only real solution is to not have the DB go down.  While this may seem extreme, I would also suggest that it's a little weird to make FreeRADIUS depend on the DB, and then have the DB randomly go away.

  The effort should put into making sure the DB doesn't go down.  Patching around an unstable DB by poking FreeRADIUS is like putting a tiny bandaid on a large injury.  The bandaid may be pretty but it's not going to do a whole lot.