FR behavior when DB not available

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jul 19 16:05:11 UTC 2023

On Jul 19, 2023, at 8:37 AM, Anatoliy <cphlpd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alan , DB that never goes down - is fantastic. At least while customer
> is understand that investment in DB (which will never goes down) will never
> payback.

  You know very well that I didn't mean some magic system where nothing ever goes wrong.

  My point (as I've said repeatedly) is that if your DB is down for extended periods, that's a problem.  Which means that you should fix the DB.  Add monitoring, replicas, etc.

  Trying to "fix" FreeRADIUS is wasting your time.  That work will not pay back as much as fixing the DB.

  It makes no sense to go "Hm... the database is down.  I know, I won't fix that.  Instead, I'll go poke FreeRADIUS!"  It is entirely the wrong approach.

  Perhaps you could listen to the people who've been doing this for decades.  They might know what they're talking about.  It doesn't make sense to ask for advice, and then go "Nah, I'm not going to do what the experts suggest.  I'm going to do something that they say won't help!"

  See also Brendan's comments.  He has some good advice, too.