question about DHCP-DHCP-Server-Identifier

Levi Baber lbaber at boone.k12.ia.us
Fri Jul 21 19:29:34 UTC 2023

I'm currently testing my configuration for freeradius as a dhcp server
- I'm not yet utilizing any of the radius services - just dhcp.

I have multiple vlans (each vlan is an independent network). In my
test config, I have two networks defined in
raddb/mods-config/files/dhcp under the 'network' section, and I am
calling the dhcp_network section from raddb/sites-enabled/dhcp.

Everything seems to be working fine with the example options, except
it seems I need to set DHCP-DHCP-Server-Identifier somewhere to ensure
requests come to the server correctly. Otherwise, I just continue to
see discover/offer repeatedly in the debug log. I've currently got it
set in the network section of raddb/mods-config/files/dhcp - that
seems fine. I've also tried adding it under both DHCP-Discover and
DHCP-Request in an 'update reply' - that also worked.

If I set DHCP-DHCP-Server-Identifier to my server IP, it all seems to
work as expected.  I'm  confused because:
A. this wasn't part of the example options, so I assumed it would not
be need to be added
B. DHCP-DHCP-Server-Identifier is already defined under "update
control" in both DHCP-Discover and DHCP-Request sections of
raddb/sites-enabled/dhcp
C. comments in raddb/sites-available/dhcp said to use either
dhcp_common or dhcp_network - but not both. I noticed the option
difference between raddb/policy.d/dhcp and
raddb/mods-config/files/dhcp was DHCP-DHCP-Server-Identifier, and
adding it has fixed my problem.

Basically I just want to be sure I'm not doing something dumb by
adding it where I have it, and that I'm correctly understanding how
the config files are intended to work.

Thank you

--
 <https://boonecsd.org>