odd messages in radius.log

Matt H meh1963 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 18:54:13 UTC 2023

Hello -

I'm seeing an odd message in /var/log/radius/radius.log - freeradius 3.0.20

Fri Jul 21 11:07:24 2023 : ERROR: (106416) eap_peap: ERROR: TLS Alert
read:fatal:unknown CA

I would expect that EAP would be failing; it's not, apparently, as users
are able to connect and auth (WPA2-Enterprise).

I've checked our certs (radius.companyname.crt, pem, etc) and they're up to
date.

When I run openssl x509 -noout -text -in <file>, everything looks good
except that the first cert in the chain has  FALSE rather than TRUE for
this setting:

X509v3 Basic Constraints: critical
     CA:FALSE

Not sure whether or not this is a red herring.  Either way, it hasn't
changed since the first of June (with no new certs and no other changes )
and the error didn't start showing up in radius.log about the first of
July.

I haven't provided a full radiusd -X output bc it's a production machine,
but can do if necessary.

thanks/mh

--
Death before dishonour,