EAP-TLS unable to get local issuer certificate

MH h33927318 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 11:54:01 UTC 2023

Hello,

I am trying to setup EAP-TLS and I am getting radius server error "eap_tls:
  (TLS) OpenSSL says error 20 : unable to get local issuer certificate",
"send TLS 1.2 Alert, fatal unknown_ca"

Test client is wpa_supplicant 2.1 built on Ubuntu Linux 22.04.2.
All tests are done locally on FreeRadius server 3.2.3 (Ubuntu Linux 22.04.2)

When I test "client.crt" with "openssl verify ./client.crt" I get "OK".
Specifying -CAFile OpenSSL parameter with chained CA cert also produces
"OK".

All CA certificates (there is also an intermediate certificate) are in
/etc/freeradius/certs, /etc/freeradius/certs_eaptls and also
/usr/lib/ssl/cert.
One certificate per file.

FreeRadius's EAP-TLS stanza is

cadir = ${certdir}/certs_eaptls
private_key_file = ${certdir}/rad.key
certificate_file = ${certdir}/rad.crt
auto_chain = no

Server and client certificates are signed by different commercial CA.
All certificates have intermediate CA.

eapol_test config file for EAP-TLS is

network={
 key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
 eap=TLS
 identity="blabla at domain.tld"
 ca_cert="/etc/ssl/certs/chain.crt"
 client_cert="client.crt"
 private_key="client.key"
 private_key_passwd="blabla"
}

AppArmor disabled.
Permissions for all certs are r--r--r-- (at least).
OpenSSL rehash done.

I have no idea what could be wrong.