Using libkqueue, how stable it is with freeradius 3.x?

work vlpl thework.vlpl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 16:44:04 UTC 2023

On 15 Jun 2023 at 16:43:29, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

>  You still haven't explained why it's opening 1024 listeners.  So you're keeping some part of your configuration secret, I don't know why.

This is the old setup so I don't know all the details or maybe the reasons are not valid anymore. But the idea was next, since it was not possible to have clients with the same ip address but different shared secrets it was decided to create a virtual server with a different port and shared secret for each client.

On normal servers, it is ok I do not hit the limit. But I have a pool of normal servers that I want to put behind a load balancer, and it was seems reasonable to use a load balancer or proxy server to handle the load for more than 1 pool or normal server.

So let's assume that I have 2 pools of servers with 256 virtual servers (ports or sockets) in each. This means on the load balancer I need to listen to 512 ports which hit the current limit.

And I saw this message, it is probably not what I hit but similar so I've also tried to change the constant in an experimental build and hit  the select() limit.

https://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2018-March/091045.html

> If you try libkueue on Linux, then you're on your own.  It might work.  If so, great.  If not, we won't spend time fixing it.  It is not officially supported for v3.

> You're wasting our time by asking for help, and then refusing to describe what you're actually doing.

Yes, I understand that this is not supported approach, but the setup that I have is old, and it will be a huge deal to redo it from the beginning, so I just asking what to expect from the version that uses libkqueue.