Questions on Free Radius with Shared Secret and special characters

Tammy Dore tammy.dore at forescout.com
Thu Mar 23 22:18:10 UTC 2023

Hi Alan,

Thank you for replying so quickly to my email.

1.  So, from what I gather, correct me if I am wrong, that the comma and semicolon is no longer supported in the shared secret for Free Radius 3.0.19, is that correct?  Just fyi because you seemed to be in the dark, the error when using shared secret "testing123," with no actual quotes when I run the application on FR 3.1.19:
        radiusd:83578:1679608622.055769:Thu Mar 23 16:57:02 2023: Thu Mar 23 16:57:02 2023 : Info: Dropping packet without response because of error: Received packet from 10.16.xxx.xxx with invalid Message-Authenticator!  (Shared secret is incorrect.)
               (this error is reported multiple times, which I don't think it is descriptive that the problem is due to an unsupported character versus mismatched shared secret)

2.  From what I also gathered from some testing, in release 2.2.9;  the comma works, and the semicolon works with quotes around the shared secret.   Is there a reason why the comma and semi colon no longer work in 3.0.19?
3.  Are there any other characters that have changed behavior in Free Radius for release 3.0.19?
4.  Is there a recommended solution for handling the comma and semicolon in 3.0.19?

-Tammy Dore