Certificate issue after upgrade in the LDAP module - Let's Encrypt certs not working either

Kaya Saman kayasaman at optiplex-networks.com
Thu Mar 30 01:47:10 UTC 2023

On 3/30/23 00:55, Kaya Saman via Freeradius-Users wrote:

> On 3/29/23 23:59, Alan DeKok wrote:
>> On Mar 30, 2023, at 12:02 AM, Kaya Saman via Freeradius-Users
>> <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:
>>> I'm using StartTLS in OpenLDAP so FR got provisioned eons ago with a
>>> working setup which has been flawless for may years, I created an
>>> raddb/ldap folder where I put my ldap TLS certs. I performed an
>>> upgrade recently and then noticed that some services had gone down.
>>> This is the relevant output of radiusd -X:
>>>
>>> rlm_ldap (ldap): Opening additional connection (0), 1 of 32 pending
>>> slots used
>>> rlm_ldap (ldap): Connecting to ldap://fqdn:389
>>> TLS certificate verification: Error, self signed certificate
>>> TLS: can't connect: error:1416F086:SSL
>>> routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed
>>> (self signed certificate).
>>    Unfortunately that message is coming from libldap.  So for some
>> reason, libldap doesn't like the certificate.
>>
>>    You may need to add the CA to the global certificate store on the
>> machine running LDAP.  Or update the LDAP server configuration to
>> trust the CA which FreeRADIUS is using.
>>
>>    Alan DeKok.
>>
> Thanks Alan, I'll give it a shot!
>

> Hope you've been well in the meantime... it has been ages :-)
>

> Best Regards,
>

> Kaya
>
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

Hmm.... I just feel like I bypassed the problem and not solved it?

I tested the certificate in ldap and and it seemed to work? Maybe I ran
the incorrect test - I'm going to have to dig deeper and check on this one!

 From ldap my reading lead me to use the test command: ldapwhoami -H
ldaps:// -x -ZZ which basically returned "anonymous" and apparently this
is correct. I still need to read more on ldap though to find if things
are actually ok or not.

For now I added this to the ldap module which at least has FR working again:

  require_cert    = 'allow'

It's a temporary band aide I'm certain  as I trust the FR output:

TLS certificate verification: Error, self signed certificate
TLS certificate verification: Error, self signed certificate
TLS certificate verification: Error, self signed certificate
TLS certificate verification: Error, self signed certificate
TLS certificate verification: Error, self signed certificate

Grrrr what a PITA sigh....

Hopefully I'll get this fixed properly and soon :-S